This section provides a lot of information on global opium and heroin production throughout the world. We will update it as we can; it is badly in need of updating. However, the data are valid. Things have not changed that much in the last ten years. If you have questions or need more information, please contact us. Just...
- Licit Opium Production: Traditional
- Roughly 60% of licit opium is produced in the traditional manner of making cuts in the pods and collecting the opium that oozes out.
- Licit Opium Production: Non-Traditional
- The new method for "opium" production extracts the alkaloids directly from poppy straw. Many of the alkaloids found in opium cannot be isolated by this method, however. But it is very effective at producing morphine which is the most important opioid.
- Illicit Opium Production
- Illicit opium production is much more stable than the licit production. The illicit market is much more free than the licit market in an economic sense, making it more responsive to fluctuations in supply variables.
- Total Opium Production
- On average, only 20% of all the opium on the global market is produced with government licensing.
- Licit Opium Producing Countries: Traditional
- The licit production of opium in the traditional manner is dominated by India, which is responsible for almost 95% of all of the opium so produced world wide.
- Licit Opium Production Products
- Most of the opium produced licitly is used to make morphine and codeine; these two compounds make up over 90% of all the substances produced.
- Heroin Retail Prices
- Heroin retail prices have been cut in half over the past decade.
- Heroin Wholesale Prices
- Heroin wholesale prices have been cut in half over the past decade.
- Cultivation Data
- This is all of the data we have in text format.